Saturday, March 18, 2017

How I Quit My Secure Job and Have Never Been Happier.

Let me just start with this - this March has
been the best March since 2009, the year and month my oldest son was born. Every year March seems like a pivotal month for me. It is as if March is the month I decide to do new things or make a major change in my life, then April is the month in which I grow; most likely because I had to.

This year was no different. This March, however, I took a major step. I quit my secure,health care toting, vacation offering, retirement paying State job. Was I scared? Heck yes! It paid well and it actually had paid time off. YIPPIE!! It was the first long term job I had since my oldest was born, it was a job I had fought for, at least against my ex husband.  It paid well, it had a retirement! For the first time in years I felt like an adult!

Not all good things last. I was spending less and less time with my kids, having to take them out of school early and suddenly this job wasn't as fantastic as I thought it was.

Soon disenchantment set in, I hated going in. If I got there early I would wait until the very last second to clock in. I started questioning myself. Was this how I wanted to live my life the next 26 plus years? The horrid feeling of being trapped set in, yet I refused to resign myself to being stuck again.

First thing was building an emergency fund.

This took me quiet awhile and while it was only a thousand dollars, I knew I would be okay. I had been applying left and right for new jobs so I knew it wouldn't take me long to find new work.

Second I had to convince myself.

This was and always is the hardest part for anyone. We have a running dialog of 'if I do this I am going to fail;' ' I can't because of (insert some lame excuse here)'. Seriously? It was a war with myself, I'm sure I looked like some crazed directionless squirrel and that's because I was. What was I going to do? Then it hit me - just shut up and do it. Rip the bandaid off fast!

Lastly I celebrated. 

I was joyous, I believe I even sang on the way to get my kids from the baby sitter. I felt lighter, that scared self loathing person was gone. I'm still happy even three weeks later.

The Monday after I quit I got a new job, that pays great and the best part, the hours are perfect! She ding self doubt is had for anyone, but sometimes we need to not doubt our selves as much as we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment